Serving for 6 people
- 700g medium fine Bulgur (Cracked wheat)
- 1 large onion
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon wild marjoram (Mardakoush)
- 1 teaspoon Basil (7abak)
- ½ teaspoon Cumin (Kammoun, Optionally)
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 kg fine chopped or minced meat
- ½ chopped or minced meat
- a handful of ground walnuts (kamshet joz)
- 2 medium onions
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Step 1 Place bulgur in a bowl and cover with warm water just to the top of the bulgur, till it is soaked.
- Step 2 Add the onions, chopped, to the bulgur. Stir the bulgur-onion mixture, adding the cumin(optionally), allspice, pine nuts, salt, marjoram(mardakoush), and basil(7abak). Add the meat to the mixture and knead it, then let it rest.
- Step 3 (Filling) Chop the onions and add olive oil, then heat in fry-pan for a few minutes. After that add meat, allspice and salt. Keep stirring the mix till the meat is well cooked, then turn the heat off and add walnuts
- Step 4 Get the dough and make it into half-open empty ovals and add the filling inside, then close it with dough.
- Step 5 Place in oil and fry till they are dark brown coloured. Alternatively, you can dip in lukewarm oil and bake in oven for a healthier, lighter, option